Welcome to the Masters of Time Blog !

Time Travel Through A Child's Eyes: Interview With Alice Marks

By 1:00 AM , , , ,

What will draw readers to Alice Marks's "At the End of the Road" is the fact that her protagonist, Maddie, is the only child time traveler of the collection's characters.

To an adult, the idea of time travel is fascinating yet frightening, wrought with what-ifs and had-better-nots. Alice's tale gives the concept an interesting spin when looked at through the lens of youth and innocence.

So, let's find out what made Alice choose her character Maddie, and what else she may have in store for us.

Say hello to author Alice Marks! 

How close do you think we are to actually achieving time travel (if at all)?

The possibility of time travel is limited only to imagination. So many things once imagined are today's reality. I do expect it in the lifetime of my grandchildren.

Where did you look for inspiration while writing your time travel short story?

When I see landscape painting, I always imagine living in the era illustrated. That is why a perspective painting of a dirt road bordered by trees had to be in my story.

If you stumbled upon the secret to time travel, would you share it with others (why or why not)?


I would share it only with two agencies [whom] I prefer not to disclose, so that people much wiser than I can make certain of the safety and authenticity of time travel before sharing my secret with the world. I will expect royalties from all entities that begin offering time travel opportunities. I wouldn't mind sitting on the board of an agency that specializes in time travel through the past.

What was the best part about writing a time travel tale? The most challenging?
 

The best part was being a part of this endeavor and having Alesha [Escobar] to help me improve my story. Researching the era about which I have written also was enjoyable.

The most challenging was adding more suspense without spoiling the integrity of the piece. What I first wrote was more political science than science fiction, so with the help of our incredible editor, I rewrote part of the story to make it more in keeping with time travel.

Where can we find out more about you?

To find out more about me, you'd have to follow me around in Duluth, Minnesota to attend the community ed writing classes I teach, or the writers group I have just started!


Otherwise, I have been part of two Chicken Soup for the Soul anthologies (I Can't Believe My Cat Did That! and The Power of the Positive), Texas Island Style (Richard Mueller), and Second Read for the Animals (Erika M. Szabo). I also have been published in poetry anthologies and by an on-line humor website, NCV. I plan to have a mystery novel in print.

Thank you, Alice! 

Dear Readers, if you haven't already, enter our Masters of Time Giveaway which will be on-going until July 13th. You'll have the chance to snag some amazing canvas tote bags, signed paperback books, "time travel" writing journals, and other cool prizes.

Keep in touch with the Masters of Time gang over at Facebook.

We look forward to seeing more of you!


You Might Also Like

0 comments